for Spiritual Cleansing
by John Edmiston
Walking In the Spirit – Series
(A Ministry of Eternity Christian Fellowship)
Christians cannot be fully possessed by the Devil (because they have the Holy Spirit) but they can be oppressed, hindered and harassed. Such spiritual oppression often stems from things such as involvement in the occult, false teaching, and sexual immorality, or from keeping idols or magic books in the house (Deuteronomy. 7:24-26).
Oppression can also come from outside through curses and witch-craft or from within ourselves because we harbor hatred, bitterness , malice and unforgiveness in our hearts (Matthew 18:21-35)
The symptoms of demonic oppression include:
1. Hopelessness, despair, loss of confidence, spiritual anguish and struggle, the constant feeling of accusation or of being ‘unclean’ in some way.
2. The sense of being cursed or of being the victim of some malicious spiritual force. A feeling that hatred, malice or envy is being directed at you in order to destroy you.
3. An out-of-control thought life, very vivid fantasies and day-dreams, being unable to think straight. Numerous fears.
4. A sense of being ‘blocked’ or stifled in one’s Christian life. A pronounced loss of enthusiasm for spiritual things.
5. Addictions, compulsions, lying, impulsiveness, habitual folly, excessive materialism, being hyper-critical, outbursts of anger, a long line of broken relationships.
6. The feeling of being attacked, strangled or seduced by spirits during one’s sleep. Seeing dark shapes. Hearing seducing, accusing or very demanding voices.
7. Unusual, even bizarre accidents and illnesses, constant financial problems, a continual lack of success in life despite one’s best efforts.
Ephesus- City Of Spiritual Warfare
Acts 19 tells us that Ephesus was full of occult activity such as Jewish exorcists, magicians, idol manufacturers and above them all a gigantic temple to Diana (also known as Artemis). The apostles Paul and John both ministered there and Ephesians and 1 John tell us much about how to combat spiritual oppression. Here are some of the main points:
1. The powers of darkness are real (Ephesians 2:2, 6:12) but Christ has conquered them (Ephesians 1:19-23, 4:8, Colossians. 2:15) and they must submit to His Name (Phil 2:10,11)
2. Jesus Christ has ascended into Heaven (Ephesians 1:19-23, 4:8-10) and Christians have been seated with Him in the heavenly realms (Ephesians 2:6) so we also have spiritual authority (1 Corinthians 6:2,3).
3. If we admit our situation and honestly confess our sins we will be forgiven and the blood of Christ will cleanse us from all sin (1 John 1:7-9)
4. So we see that through Christ we have a right to spiritual cleansing. (Hebrews 9:14)
5. We must renounce the hidden deeds of darkness (Ephesians 5:11-14) including the occult, sexual immorality & covetousness (Ephesians 5:2-5) and all hatred (1 John 2:9-11) and decide to walk in the light as He is in the light (1 John 1:5-7, Ephesians 5:8-10). This is often called removing the ground the enemy has in our lives.
6. After this we should then ask for the filling of the Holy Spirit (Ephesians 5:18) and put on each piece of the whole armor of God by prayer (Ephesians 6:10-20)
I honestly confess my sins (list them) including any occult involvement of my parents and ancestors (list them) (Exodus 20:5, Deuteronomy 5:9, 2 Samuel 21:1)
I renounce the Devil and all his works. (this may include destroying occult objects such as magic books & idols) (Acts 19:17-20, Deuteronomy 7:24-26)
I forgive others (list their names) just as Jesus Christ has forgiven me. (Ephesians 4:32, Matthew 6:12-15,)
I claim my spiritual cleansing by the blood of Jesus Christ whom I confess to be my Savior and my Lord. (1 John 1:7-9, Hebrews 9:14)
I now give any ground that Satan may have had in my life over to the Lordship of Jesus Christ and I ask for God to fill me with the Holy Spirit and with joy. (Ephesians 5:1-18)
I take up my spiritual authority as one seated in heavenly realms with Christ Jesus and in the Name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth I command Satan and all his demons to depart from me. (Ephesians 2:6, 1:20, Mark 3:15, 16:17,18; Luke 9:1)
I claim that all curses spoken and written against me are broken by the cross of Jesus Christ. (Galatians 3:10-14, Colossians 2:13-15) and that I have all the spiritual blessings in the heavenly realms (Ephesians 1:3) including the blessings of Abraham (Galatians 3:14,29) for God has out-blessed the curse (Psalm 109:28) and turned it into a blessing (Deuteronomy 23:5)
And I now prayerfully put on each piece of the full armor of God (name each piece see Ephesians 6:10-20) and I will walk in the light as He is in the light (1 John 1:5-7). In Jesus’ Name. Amen
Many people have found that it is very helpful to pray the prayer for spiritual cleansing twice a day for about two or three weeks. As you pray you will begin to feel ‘lighter’ spiritually and the heaviness of the spiritual oppression will fade away.
God may bring things to mind that you have to do, such as apologizing to someone or repaying a debt. As you follow these leadings of the Holy Spirit you will find relief.
During this time you should pray and read the Bible daily, especially Romans 8, Ephesians and 1 John. Continue going to your local church. It is good to pray this prayer with some help from your pastor or another mature Christian leader.
If you are on any medication (say for anxiety or depression) do not go off your medication. Always obey your doctor in this regard.
Remember that there is no condemnation to them that are in Christ Jesus (Romans 8:1,2) and that God wants to help you every step of the way. It is the gracious loving power of God that will set you free!
EXTRA: A black and white 3-panel brochure of this prayer is available as a free download at: http://www.newtestamentprayer.com/prayers/prayer_for_spiritual_oppression.pdf This brochure is designed to be easily reproduced and is intended to be freely used for non-profit Gospel ministry (however it may not be sold in any way).
This Article – Prayer for Spiritual Cleansing is © Copyright AIBI-International 2009
This article may be freely reproduced for non-profit ministry purposes but may not be sold in any way and must be reproduced “as is” without alteration. Just e-mail us at email@example.com