What Is A Christian?
Someone Whom God has Chosen For Himself
WARM UP:Most non-Christian cultures do not share the Christian way of thinking about a God who chooses each person and has a loving plan for their life. Lets look at some common errors...
- Animism - Idols do not make long-term plans, the "gods" react to offerings, spells etc in a quite unpredictable and capricious way. They may often be cruel. and hard to please.
- Buddhism - An impersonal Fate is in charge of one's destiny.
- Islam -. The "will of Allah" is harsh, uncompromising and fatalistic.
- Confucianism - Wise and pragmatic, however there is no transcendent God , no Creator of the heavens and the earth. No eternity to live for, suffering is to be avoided and has no eternal merit.
- Daoism - God is a path or a force not a personal loving agent. Does not choose, love or will.
- Shinto - Nature forces are kept in balance and appeased. No clear plan or direction.
- Ancestor worship - The ancestors are kept happy so they do not inflict revenge and cast curses. There is little sense of order or of a planned destiny for mankind or forgiveness.
- Mediums and spiritists- may see a little way into the future but the plans they reveal are from Satan. Reliance on them brings fear, bondage and darkness. They do not steer people into a sense of being chosen by a loving God who values personal freedom.
- Western materialism - There
is no God, only matter matters. There is no plan
at all. Eat, drink, be merry for tomorrow we die.
1. Read: Romans 8:28-33, Ephesians 1:4-11, 1 Thess 1:4, 1 Peter 1;1,2
Does God have a good and blessed plan for your life?What words does the bible use to describe the "final product" of God's plans?God chooses you and "buys you back" (redeems you). He then becomes your owner and we belong to Him having been "bought with a price -the precious blood of Jesus". What rights does this give God to change your life and plans?
2. Read 1 Thess 1: 4-10
What signs told Paul that the Thessalonians had been chosen by God?How can we know if God has chosen us? (Romans 8:14-18, 10:9-13)
3. What are some of the "principles" behind God's choosing, electing and appointing...
- Matthew 22:1-14_______________________________________
- 1 Cor 1:27,28 ________________________________________
- James 2:5 ________________________________________
- Romans 11:1-8 ________________________________________
- Acts 13:48 ________________________________________
- John 15:16-21 ________________________________________
- Matthew 20:1-16
4. Being chosen of God means that certain things simply will not happen to us...
- 1 Thess 5:9 ________________________________________
- John 5:24________________________________________
- Romans 8;1,2________________________________________
5. Being chosen by God also means that certain things will happen to us...
- Hebrew 12:5-11 _______________________________________
- Revelation 17:14 ______________________________________
- Matthew 24:29-31 _____________________________________
- Luke 18:1-8 ________________________________________
- 1 Peter 1:13,14
6. What does Satan try to do to the elect?
- Matthew 24:24________________________________________
- 2 Timothy 3:12 _______________________________________
- 1 Peter 2:4-10 ________________________________________
- John 10:10
7. Read 2 Timothy 2:10-13, Romans 8:29- 30, 1 Cor 15:50-55
What do you think "eternal glory" will be like?
What, if any, are the conditions for our obtaining it?
8. Read 2 Corinthians 4:16-18, 1 Peter 1:3-9, Hebrews 10:32-39
Why does God permit His chosen people to suffer?
How does the fact that we have been chosen by God help us in hard times?
What are God's recommended reactions to trials?
What verse or concept has spoken to you the most tonight?
Write it out as a prayer to God.
What action can you take this week as a result of tonight's study?
This article may be freely reproduced for non-profit ministry purposes but may not be sold in any way. For permission to use articles in your ministry, e-mail the editor, John Edmiston at email@example.com.